The Wildernesse Club embarked on an bunker remodelling programme in 2013 to rebuild and remodel all course bunkers in a modern “parkland” style that will provide consistency in terms of aesthetics, strategy, maintenance and playing quality.
The course was originally laid out in 1890 by an unknown professional golfer, but was later modified by James Braid. It has, rightfully, been recognised by the R&A as an Open Qualifying venue and a regular host for EGU and Kent County events. At just over 6,500 yards the course is not long by modern standards but it still remains difficult to beat par, despite changes in the modern game and advancements in club and ball technology.
The construction work has been ongoing since 2013 and will continue each Autumn, on a phased basis, until all course bunkers have been remodelled and new bunkers built. The work is being expertly undertaken by John Greasley Ltd, with their own HyLine geosynthetic bunker lining material (puncture resistant woven geotextile) being installed in all fairway and approach bunkers and Blinder Bunker Liner (environmentally approved recycled rubber granules) being installed in greenside bunkers by Profusion Environmental. The new bunkers are back in play within 6 months of starting construction.
The bunker remodelling project will further add to the challenge and improve the design strategy of the course – making the golfer think more carefully about placement of tee-shots and approaches into greens.
The Wildernesse Club was awarded “Best in County” poll in 2015, by www.top100golfcourses.co.uk. The club moved up from 13th to 6th in the Kent County rankings.
Photo Credit: JG/Mark Todd